Thursday, December 5, 2019

Editing Blog

For my music video I went about my editing process on imovie. It is available on ios. Imovie can be worked with from apple devices such as an iphone and a macbook. I chose to use my phone for the filming process as well as a Nikon 7000 that was lent to me for a short time. I was very impressed with the quality. At first I had no idea how to use it since I was never taught how to. This is why for some of my shots in darker lighting the quality isn't superb since I used my phone and didn't know the camera controls yet. However, as my time on the trip went on I was able to grasp the controls and learned I needed an SD card which I went out and bought. Until the battery died I used the Nikon camera. I knew I had a phone to shoot with but there was no way I'd give up the opportunity to use a higher quality camera. I'm glad I got the opportunity to use it and it has peaked my interests in filming. As for using my iphone,  I felt this would also be the better option since I was already familiar with  the features available to me on my phone as opposed to using school equipment. There was a lower chance of technical difficulties this way and thus eliminating any sort of delays I may have had. There was also no liability that I was responsible for because the equipment was mine and from a close friend so I was less restricted on what I could do throughout the filming process. Therefore I could take more experimental and riskier shots. I began my editing process by importing all the video footage from my camera roll into the program. I took multiple shots of different scenes and took them with a variety of lengths to assure I had a good selection of footage to choose from. Before hand I made sure to clear my camera roll and to import my personal photos and videos into my google photos so that during filming I would not experience issues with storage. Prior to editing I looked through all of my footage and deleted all the shots I was sure I did not want or felt would fit very well into the music video. I also trimmed them down to my desired length to fit best with the timing and pacing of the music. Taking these prior steps made the editing process much easier as I was already knowledgeable of what shots to important and I wouldn't have to focus on deleting the shots while in the program. Especially in my case since I took probably close to over 100 shots. Some of them were for my own pleasure and that I knew could potentially be added in while some were definitely apart of my outline for the video from the beginning. Next I listened to my chosen song a couple times to understand the timing and to get an idea of how I could best work it into my video along with the idea I already was set on. I began by putting the wide shots and establishing shots first to set the locations and set a mood for the video. I had to trim down some shots and even slowed some of them down for a more dramatic effect. I also got some free overlays from youtube and was able to place them over my video for a vintage feel. They were reminiscent of old school film. I felt like they would be able to give my video a sort of nostalgic feel. Through the program I also took filters into consideration. I choose filters that would be bold in color and have a lot of contrast. One of the features that greatly helped me achieve these effects was the features present on my camera app. I was able to experiment with the lighting and create contrast between the light and the shadows. I think this too was helpful in creating the sort of mood I was going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment